Call For Proposals
To present at Functional Conf 2017, please submit your proposal before June 30th 2017 via our Public Proposal Submission System.
Kindly note that all proposals are public. Registered users of the Submission System can view and comment on your proposal. Please reply to the comments to provide clarifications, explain revisions and respond to questions. The Program team will assess how well you respond to comments and update your proposal to incorporate public suggestions. The ultimate decision to accept a session resides with the Program team.
Your proposal stands the best chance for selection if it is unique, fully flushed, and ready-to-go. Please ensure you have read:
To encourage early submissions and iterative improvement of proposals, we start accepting proposals as soon as we find them a good fit. Since competition gets tougher with progressing time, it is advisable to avoid waiting till the last minute for proposal submission.
In terms of the overarching themes or values in proposals, we look at the following criteria during selection:
- Diversity - As a conference, we wish to be more inclusive (Different approaches, frameworks, gender, countries, background etc.).
- Balance - We strive to strike a great balance between different types of presentations (Expert talks, experience reports, tutorials, workshops, etc.) and experiences that speakers bring to the conference.
- Equality - We truly encourage students and women speakers. However, this does not mean that we are biased and we select just about any proposal based only on the fact that it came from a student or female speaker. Nevertheless, if we have to make a choice between one out of two equal proposals, we will pick the one proposed by a student or female speaker.
- Practicality - People come to a conference to learn, network, have an experience and leave the conference feeling motivated. Proposals that facilitate this are therefore always preferred. Though some theory is good, if the proposal lacks practical application, it does not really help participants.
- Learning - People learn more by doing rather than listening. Therefore, the winning proposals are those that take people on a learning journey and incorporate an element of "learning by doing".
- Opportunity - We strive to ensure that the conference has a minimum of 70% rock solid speakers. Nonetheless, we give equal opportunities to new and promising speakers having real potential.
- Originality - It is true that people usually prefer hearing about an idea from its original creator rather than someone else. However, you may take an idea, tweak it in your context, and gain some insight(s) while doing so - People also like to hear first-hand experiences from those who are not creators of the original idea. Ultimately, we are looking for thought leadership.
- Radical ideas - We have great respect for people who want to push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Given that we lean towards unconventional ideas, we try our best to support such people and bring greater awareness to their work.
- Demand - Votes on a proposal and the buzz on social media give us an idea about how many people are really interested in a certain topic. Understanding that votes can be gamed, we have a system in place that can eliminate some bogus votes and use different types of patterns to give us a decent sense of the real demand.
All conference videos will be recorded and released freely under Creative Commons (CC) License on our YouTube Channel. The speaker owns the copyrights to their videos.
Speakers will be compensated as follows:
|90 minutes||1 Free Conference Registration + 2 Hotel Nights|
|45 minutes||1 Free Conference Registration + 1 Hotel Night|
|20 minutes||1 Free Conference Registration|
|Less than 20 minutes||No Compensation|
The compensation indicated above is for primary speakers only. Co-presenters can avail a 50% discount on registrations. Hotel nights are capped at three nights for speakers with multiple accepted sessions, it cannot be accumulated beyond this nor transferred to another person. Also, free registrations cannot be accumulated or transferred.
Contact team@functionalconf..com for discount code for the other conference days.